The Forest Inn has teamed up with local wildlife expert Richard Hibbert to offer a fantastic opportunity for our guests. Richard is a teacher and environmental educator who has lived on Dartmoor for 20 years and knows the area very well.
He is now offering guided walks for couples, families, groups and individuals staying with us, tailored to your requirements and level of expertise. Richard’s main passion is birds, but he has a wide range of knowledge about wildlife and the landscape and how to share this with others. As a primary school teacher, he is skilled in engaging young people with nature and their surroundings, and if you go on one of his walks with your children you (and they) won’t be disappointed!
We are in a unique position for wildlife on Dartmoor, and we are really excited about the opportunity that our guests have been offered. Some of the activities below can be enjoyed on foot from our venue without having to get into a car, although excursions further afield can be arranged. There is something to see at all times of the year, and what you can do will depend on your interests, but here are some suggested activities. If you prefer to play chess instead, checkerwise.co.uk gives you a great guide.
- Introduction to Dartmoor landscapes, history and wildlife (Buzzard, Skylark, Fox; any time of year)
- River walks (Goosanders, Dippers, Grey Wagtails, possible Kingfishers and a chance of Otters and Salmon; any time of year)
- Introduction to bird songs and calls (common birds eg Blackbird, Robin, Wren; spring and summer are best)
- Dawn chorus birdsong (birds such as Song Thrush, Cuckoo, Redstart, Spotted Flycatcher, Treecreeper, Garden Warbler, woodpeckers; April to June) – back to us for breakfast (or bring a picnic)
- Atmospheric dusk excursions onto the moor to look for specialities such as Snipe and Nightjar (May-July)
- Roosting Goosanders and winter birds of prey (October – March)
Walks (up to three hours)
Couples, families and individuals (up to four people) – £50
Groups (5-15 people) – £12.50 per person
All day (more than five hours)
Couples, families and individuals (up to four people) – £80
Groups (5-15 people) – £20 per person
Dogs and children welcome!
Please ask at the Forest Inn to book or for more information. Call 01364 631211